Monday, June 29, 2015

The Fervent Prayer of a Righteous Child


Give me strength, Lord. Give me words to say. Fill my mouth with grace and my heart with truth. Give me Your love for everyone and keep my fire lit. May my robes be perfumed with You, that others may perceive I have been with Christ - give me courage to be an ambassador of Heaven.

Keep my feet on the straight and narrow and may lives be changed because through me, others encounter You. Help me to be discerning, that I may know right from wrong, good doctrine from bad doctrine, and proper hermeneutics.

Bring peace to my life - and if that is not Your will, give me the grace to endure.

Let nothing unsavory pass my lips, but only words that build up and edify.


Jonathan Edwards once prayed to be the one Christian in his generation who would be the most holy and Christlike:

On the supposition, that there never was to be but one individual in the world, at any one time, who was properly a complete Christian, in all respects of a right stamp, having Christianity always shining in its true luster, and appearing excellent and lovely, from whatever part and under whatever character viewed: Resolved, to act just as I would do, if I strove with all my might to be that one, who should live in my time. ~~Resolution 63

As the chiefest among sinners, I don't think I have the right to pray that prayer -- is it humble to ask for such? But in the spirit of that prayer, may I be a Christian others see Christ abiding in, and see His life flowing more abundantly through me. May I inspire others with a hunger for the same, as one match lights another.

I do not ask to be like Westley, who prayed for people to come and watch him burn - no, I want to light others on fire as well so they too may kindle hearts and minds to Your truth. But I can do none of this on my own strength - be with me, Lord Jesus, as a lily among thorns. Keep my eyes ever on You, keep my heart beating in time with Yours.

Pour out Your Spirit on this generation through the fountain of Living Water flowing from my heart and from the hearts of others like me. Teach us to worship in Spirit and Truth - teach us the path of righteousness for Your name's sake.

Illuminate Your Word to be the light unto our paths and a lamp unto our feet. Compel Your Church to return to her first love and treasure You as the pearl in the field they'd gladly sell everything for.


May Your Gospel come alive and burn in our hearts with a zeal for our God that cannot be fathomed. Keep our thoughts on what is good, and pure, and holy, and direct our focus on being Your hands and Your feet in this broken, dying world.

Raise us up to show the world true Christianity as it is meant to be: Glorifying Christ, exalting Your Word, and having beautiful feet, which brings the good news upon the mountains, publishes peace and happiness, and publishes salvation, saying unto Zion,

"Your God reigns!"

Praise the Lord! May it be, my precious Yeshua. The fervent prayer of a righteous child can accomplish much. May this little prayer of mine find others to pray the same; may You fan these flames, and exceedingly abundantly enable this prayer to accomplish above all I can ask or think among the hearts of Your people -- a wildfire of the Spirit of God!

Until we fly away to Glory, this is my prayer, in Jesus' name.

AMEN.



No comments:

Post a Comment