Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why is There No Seeking in the House of God?

We must be Bereans when it comes to the things of God.  I know too many Christians who are content in their Christianity, but barely look much different than the world around them.  Do they pray?  Casually?  Often?  Just when they need God to "do" something for them?

Do they read their Bible?  More often than on Sundays?  Do they wonder about the deeper things of God, like the Trinity, for example, or the Rapture and Tribulation?  Or do they think in the long run these things will "work themselves out"?

Not every Christian is cut out to be a scholar, I understand that.  But there are so many out there who claim the faith and yet don't really KNOW what they believe!  They believe things because they've been taught these things all their lives, not because they sought them out on their own.

When's the last time one of these Christians prayed just to say, "Hi." to the Almighty?  Obviously, I can't see their hearts like God can.  Who am I to judge their spiritual life?  But Christ says in the Bible, "You shall know them by their fruits." ~~Luke 6:43-45

So what other conclusion are we to make but that they are starving themselves spiritually?  And they probably have no idea!  Like I once thought, "I'm a strong Christian!" but my life held almost no fruit for God.  I raised my kids to believe, but beyond that, what did I do for the Kingdom?  Nothing.

Now that I am drawn back to the heart of God, I am compelled to learn more about Him.  I'm consumed with longings to know Him, to understand the One Who created me and died to save me.  Nothing else on this planet MATTERS but the love of God.  How can these "worldly" Christians not understand that?  Christ coming into this world and dying for humanity was the single-most important event in the history of creation.

And we live our lives as if we don't care.  We give Christ a passing "thank you" or a slight nod of appreciation, without realizing that the LOVE of GOD should set OUR hearts on fire!  Why is your heart NOT ON FIRE?!  I don't understand how anyone can live their lives, content with their head in the sand, and not look up into the glory of the cosmos.

Knowing Christ has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with relationship.  He LOVES you.  SO MUCH!  And it breaks my heart to think that the vast majority of Christians don't return a deep, burning love for Him.

There might be some adoration.  A deep respect.  Thankfulness.  Gratefulness, even.  No one wants to go to Hell.

But God wants our LOVE.  The ones who stood out from the crowd in the Bible were those who were after God's Own heart.  Abel.  King David.  John the Apostle.  Mary of Bethany.  Mary Magdelene.  God loves everyone equally, but what was it about THESE people?

They were ALL IN!  They loved God with everything they had.  They threw themselves headfirst into God and didn't care if they never emerged.  Their place was at His feet, soaking up His attention, hanging on His every word.  They lived and breathed Him, He was in their DNA, on their skin, and the reason their hearts beat.

THIS is how Christians should know and love God.  I will be the first to tell you that I am not perfect.  But it is my desire to love God like THAT.  It is my desire to be so intimate with my Creator, that He is my very Best Friend.  The One I turn to in times of need.  The One I chat with.  The One with whom I share my joy.

The Love of my life.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."  ~~Matthew 22:37


This is what made these people stand out in Scripture.  They understood to put God first in their lives, to make Him Sovereign over all their heartaches and blessings and give Him a place of honor in their lives -- regardless of their circumstance.

Our joy is found in God alone, not in our day-to-day.  And when a Christian finally understands this truth, nothing can defeat them.  They've built their house on the Rock.

~~Becka

No comments:

Post a Comment